Thursday, March 17, 2011

the stake of indie film exhibition

In the past week, I have been struggling with an article I have to write for a conference in mid-April. The conference is on Chinese cinema, and I was assigned the topic of "independent cinema circuits."

Compared to American indie films, Chinese indie cinema is doubly disadvantaged. In the U.S., indie cinema must establish itself as an alternative to the capital-intensive Hollywood. In China, besides having to compete with blockbuster productions, indie cinema has to deal with the fact that it cannot be shown in any official cinematic space, whether in cinemas, or on television. With little capital and no official cinematic space, it is a miracle that this cinema has survived and grown. My paper is to recount this story of survival and growth. What have been the strategies of survival? Who have been the crucial supporters? How has this particular history of survival affect the forms and concerns of this cinema? How has this cinema opened new spaces, and how has it adapted to suit the old ones? How does this survival story serve as a legacy for filmmakers and audiences?

Thinking about my own daily experiences, I must confess that on this campus, the place that brings me the most happiness has been the Harvard Film Archive. If HFA, Coolidge Corner Theater, Brattle Street Theater, and Kendall Square Cinema were to close down within the next years, this place would become for me infinitely impoverished. Of course, I could shun film altogether and read, but the loss would not be simply the loss of good cinema. The loss would be this: facing dominance, the society failed to produce alternative, failed to issue its counter-act. If in cinema, alternatives were gone; then very quickly, the same thing would happen in other fields as well. Each field is a battleground that the society can't afford to lose.

The Chinese indie cinema has been a success story so far. Yet the success may not continue if lessons were not learned from its history. From new indie films made in China, I can see how hard it is to master the cinematic art and to find one's own voice. It takes years to build that intuitive sensibility that can lead to best directorial decisions on the spot. If making a film is already so difficult, then making viable a cinema is just equally if not more difficult. One needs to learn to adapt, insist, follow and invent--and do all of these at the right time, with the right people. Learning about how to make this cinematic alternative viable in China is one way of learning how to make many good things viable in that country, in this world.

Film studies may not be the most practical field that contributes to livelihood. Yet it is one of the fields that try to make sure there are nice things in the world. If HFA, Brattle Street Theater, Coolidge Corner and Kendall Square are so indispensable for me, then I shall renew my faith in this discipline, and go back to my writing!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ying,
    I have been struggling with similar dilemmas recently (and am, too, in the middle of writing a conference paper). I think you are right in saying that independent cinema, as any non-mainstream (cultural and other) activity, is about providing alternatives to the commercial (for the lack of a better word) culture. But I think there is more to it than its role in providing "nice" options for those who seek/need them. Most of all, I think, it witnesses to the variety of human approaches to, as well as expectations from life. It speaks of intellectual rebelliousness of various sorts. And the function, the beauty, and the value of film and other cultural studies (humanities by large(?))is to document and scrutinize these essentially human activities in an attempt to understand us as thinking and diversified beings. And this is, I think, the practical dimension of our work.

    I am glad you are back to blogging. I am looking forward to hearing more from you. e.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Edyta,

    I like very much what you said about the value of humanistic studies, that is, "documenting and scrutinizing the human ways as thinking and diversified beings." Sometimes, when I am attempting a "professional" work, and feel anxious about the disciplinary judgments that are soon to be placed on it, I lose sight of what motivated me in the first place to do this. I am happy that you reminded me! Take care, and let's meet soon!

    ReplyDelete