Thursday, March 17, 2011

blogging again

Sofie, a good friend from California, wrote me and asked why I hadn't been writing on my Chinese blog site (http://yinikanotebook.blogbus.com/). When I was blogging a year ago, Sofie was one of the loyal readers.

Getting her email made me realize that I haven't visited her blogs for quite some time. So I went to her page, and found she had written many new entries. A cultural hybrid like me, an enterprising scientist who is timid and risk-loving at the same time, and a mother to a boy who's just learning to speak, Sofie shares her daily observations, fantastical thinking, and ethical reasoning with these short pieces. Reading these entries I feel close to her again, as if she were living just next door. I no longer need to write in my email to her, "I hope you are well." I know she is well.

So here I am, updating this site for the first time after a long hiatus, a hiatus caused not by a lack of writing but by too much of it. Academic writing has taken over and replaced personal writing. And I for some time lost that conviction that bloggers share -- that how we live our everyday life is important, that we must fight against automatism and reclaim spaces for contemplation, choices, and sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment